“Lay Buddhists – Roles and Relations: Buddhist Lives of Mindful Transformation”
Dec. 28, 2018 – Jan. 2, 2019
Ayutthaya (อยุธยา), Thailand
(Download flyer here)
Please note the change of dates and location!!!
Dear Buddhist friends and practitioners-cum-scholars,
Following our earlier announcement of the 9th International Lay Buddhist Forum, local circumstances necessitate a change of date.
The ILBF2018 will now be held in Ayutthaya, Thailand, on 28 Dec 2018 – 02 Jan 2019, locally organized by devoted Thai Lay Buddhists.
Accepted participants are asked to arrive by 28 Dec in Bangkok for free airport transfer to Ayutthaya.
Two full days of programme (29-30 Dec) will be followed by two Buddhist immersion days around the beginning of the New Year. Departure will be on 2 January 2019.
The theme of this year’s forum is “Lay Buddhists – Roles and Relations: Buddhist Lives of Mindful Transformation”.
Participants are welcomed from all Buddhist schools of thought and practice. We particularly encourage the participation of (lay) Buddhist teachers; community leaders; educators; and youth representatives.
However, there is only a limited number of spaces and participation is by successful individual application only. We ask prospect participants to excuse any inconvenience if their application is not successful at this occasion. The decision of the selection committee is final.
The forum will bring together Buddhists from around the globe who want to engage actively with the programme on a shared journey of discovery of and learning about Buddhist transformative life practices. Participants will contribute to the discussions, workshops, and roundtables. A limited amount of academic papers and panels will complement the forum.
All aspiring participants should send a proposal indicating their Buddhist affiliation (if any) and a statement of around 200 words indicating their suggested contribution relating the forum’s theme “Lay Buddhists – Roles and Relations: Buddhist Lives of Mindful Transformation”.
The 200-word submission may consist of
- a suggested contribution to a discussion topic (example topics below)
- the presentation of a Buddhist organisation’s approach to transformative lay life
- an academic paper abstract
- an individual motivational statement, e.g. under the heading ‘How does Buddhism transform my daily life?’
- a workshop/practice contribution (dharma activity, sharing, meditation etc.)
Topics may include, but are not limited to,
- Sharing All-day Compassion and Wisdom: Buddhist Ethics and Right Livelihood in Practice
- Mindful Buddhist Social and Political Engagement
- Buddhist organisations: Transforming Hearts and Societies
- Householders, Yogis, Leaders: Inspirational Lay Buddhists and their relevance for Buddhist Life today
Please send your proposal to email@example.com, with a copy to Ms Kathy Monaco: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case of further questions, please email email@example.com (copying firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Proposal deadline: March 15, 2018.